“What tomes are waiting patiently on your shelves?“
I have a definite problem when it comes to buying books, adding them to my TBR shelf and not reading them. The main problem is my uncontrollable need to own books – books I love, books I think I may love, even books that I think I may like a little bit. I am also unable to avoid book sales – store sales, library sales, church sales and even the SPCA annual book sale – really who could turn down a 25 cent book when you know it will help feed a starving kitten.
I’m also afraid sometimes not to buy a book, because I think maybe in the future I may want to read it and will be unable to find a copy (neurotic I know) It doesn’t help either that my hubs indulges my habit and seems oddly proud of my book collector-like status. Being a hockey card collector himself, he seems to like searching out and finishing off sets of books for me (completing my Sherrilyn Kenyon Dark Hunter series seems his main priority lately)!
So what’s sitting unread on my shelf?
- Tons of paperbacks that I had to have. (what was I thinking?)
- Anne Rice’s Vampire Series (I’ve read 3 but really I’ve no plans to read the rest)
- Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (a phase when I needed anything Vlad-related)
- Portable Atheist by Christopher Hitchens (2am – airport – impulse buy)
- Entire Left Behind series by Tim LeHaye and Jerry Jenkins (no idea, really none)
- Set of 10 books on major artists throughout history (I love art)
- Entire Stephanie Plum series (hubs saw me glance at 1, then got me the rest)
Honestly, at the time that I got these books I had fully intended to read them, but I’ve never looked twice at them, except when re-organizing, moving or dusting.
© 2008-2010 Joanne Mosher of The Book Zombie. All rights reserved.