Music Mundays ♦ Track 1

Today while reading blogs, I stumbled upon a Chris’s new feature for Mondays – Music Mundays – I think it’s awesome! Music and books are a big part of mine (and my family’s) life. So even though there was specific request for people to participate in this meme, I’m just going to go ahead and hope that was the idea :P

Here’s a bit of what Chris had to say about Music Mundays:

“Yes, I realize that Munday is misspelled, but that’s just fun, isn’t it? lol. So I know that the internet needs another weekly meme like I need a hole in the head, but I’m starting one anyway :p It’s not book related though (though it can be) so that counts for something, right? This idea was inspired by Nymeth of Things Mean A Lot after she did her books meet music post today which is fantastic if you haven’t read it yet!”

But you should totally head over and read his whole amazing post – right here!

Chris tied music and literature together by highlighting the beautiful and talented Tori Amos – and maybe I’m being difficult or contrary, but to me music is just as much a type of literature as books, be it fiction or poetry. To me literature is something that expresses an idea or feeling, it tells a story or provokes one to look for the meaning behind words.

Anyway, my choice for this, the very first Music Munday, is a song that has always moved me to look at life, people and the world differently. The first time I heard this song, while watching the movie Magnolia (yes, yes it does star Tom Cruise – but that was before he became Evil-Slightly-Demented-Tom) and it is Wise Up by Aimee Mann.


This song may seem like a total downer – especially considering that the last words are “So just … give up.” But for me this song and the words are saying that we need to wise up and learn to stop trying to make life go the way we think it should. If we continually fight against the way we feel, the way we think, the way we love – then it’s just going to continue being harder and harder. Going with the flow doesn’t mean giving in, for me it means embracing what makes us each who we are as individuals. Probably the song has a totally different meaning than how I interpret it – but isn’t that the beauty of music? 

am smilers 2008
@#%&*! Smilers
2008
One More Drifter In Snow
2006
The Forgotten Arm
2005
Lost In Space
2002


Wise Up

It's not
What you thought
When you first began it
You got
What you want
Now you can hardly stand it though,
By now you know
It's not going to stop
It's not going to stop
It's not going to stop
'Til you wise up


You're sure
There's a cure
And you have finally found it
You think
One drink
Will shrink you 'til you're underground
And living down
But it's not going to stop
It's not going to stop
It's not going to stop
'Til you wise up


Prepare a list of what you need
Before you sign away the deed
'Cause it's not going to stop
It's not going to stop
It's not going to stop
'Til you wise up
No, it's not going to stop
'Til you wise up
No, it's not going to stop
So just...give up

- Aimee Mann -

Bachelor No. 2
2000
Magnolia Soundtrack
1999
I’m With Stupid
1995
Whatever
1993


© 2008-2010 Joanne Mosher of The Book Zombie. All rights reserved.

10 comments:

Kailana said...

Good stuff! Not my general type of music, but I liked. I like the idea of a music-meme thing, anyways!

Ana S. said...

"To me music is just as much a type of literature as books, be it fiction or poetry. To me literature is something that expresses an idea or feeling, it tells a story or provokes one to look for the meaning behind words."

I couldn't agree more, Joanne. I love my favourite song lyrics as much as my favourite poems. I don't see much of a difference, really. Sure, not all songs have good lyrics...but then, not all books are good either. And "good" is a personal thing anyway.

Anyway...I love Aimee, love that soundtrack, and love that movie <3

Speaking of Demented-Tom, are you familiar with Jonathan Coulton's song Tom Cruise Crazy? It cracks me up every time :D My boyfriend and I have adopted the expression "that's just Tom Cruise crazy", lol.

Anonymous said...

Aimee Mann is a big fave of mine. My hub also has a 'thing' for her. I agree with you and what Nymeth said about agreeing with you. :)

Alice said...

I'm with stupid is a good album. I also like her cover of a Coldplay song "The Scientist" on Lost in Space.

chrisa511 said...

Thanks for participating Joanne!!! I'm so excited to see people actually doing this :D I'm also really glad that you pointed out the similarities between music and literature. You're so right!

I love Aimee Mann! I haven't listened to her in a LONG time! I never have seen Magnolia though...I really need to check it out.

I like depressing type songs :p You'll learn that really quickly through my Music Munday posts, lol.

Stephanie said...

The Magnolia soundtrack is amazing. (and so is the movie, with is one of my all-time favorites, btw! Even if it does have Crazy Tom Cruise in it!)

I was a huge fan of Til Tuesday anyway, so I've always liked to listen to Amy Mann. My husband got to meet her many moons ago. His framed picture with her is one of his most prized possessions!

CJ said...

Another singer I'm not familiar with but gotta say I love the 'Evil-Slightly-Demented-Tom' Cruise comment.

cjh

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

I've only just become an Aimee Mann fan and was listening to bachelor no 2 on my ipod yesterday!

The Bookworm said...

great post, I hadnt heard this song before.
I agree, music and literature can be similar in many ways.
The lyrics to some of my favorite songs read like poetry.


http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Everyone has been posting about stuff that is making me so nostaligic! I love Aimee Mann and the Magnolia soundtrack--haven't listened to it in years. For me the best music, or the music I'm drawn to anyway, is the type where there is so much meaning behind the words. Plus I've always loved the simplicity of this type of music--really makes you listen to the words.