Avid Anticipation ♦ Cowboy & Wills

Have you ever found yourself in the situation, where from the moment you hear about an upcoming book, you just can’t wait to get your hands on it? I’m pretty sure everyone knows what I’m talking about.

This happened to me just the other day. The book I’m looking forward to with avid anticipation is Cowboy & Wills: A Love Story written by Monica Holloway. I’m so excited about this memoir that I just had to share it with everyone.

Cowboy and Wills

The day Monica learns that her lovable, brilliant three-year-old son, Wills, has autism spectrum disorder, she takes him to buy an aquarium. It's the first in a string of impulsive trips to the pet store to buy animals as a distraction from the uncontrollable, crushing reality of Wills's diagnosis. But while Wills diligently tends to the growing menagerie, what he really wants is a puppy. And one Christmas, when Wills is six, Cowboy Carol Lawrence joins their family.

Like all dynamic duos, Cowboy and Wills complement each other perfectly. Wills is cautious, fastidious, and irresistibly tenderhearted. Cowboy, a rambunctious golden retriever, is overeager, affectionate, and impulsive. And from the moment Cowboy enters their lives, Monica sees her son step a little farther into the world.

Soon, the boy who could barely say hello to his classmates in kindergarten is sharing stories of his new “sister” Cowboy during morning circle. Children crowd around them at the park, and instead of running away, Wills, holding Cowboy’s leash in his sweaty fist, proudly answers all of their questions. With Cowboy, he finds the courage to invite kids over for playdates, overcomes his debilitating fear of water to swim along beside her in the family pool, and, after years of gentle coaxing, Wills finally sleeps in his own bed with Cowboy’s paws draped across his small chest. Through it all, Cowboy is there, dragging him toward other children, giving him the confidence to try new things and the courage to face his worst fears. And when Cowboy turns out to need her new family as much as they need her, they discover just how much she has taught them—about devotion, about loyalty, and about never giving up.

Sometimes it’s what you don’t know to hope for that saves you. For Monica, her husband, Michael, and their son, Wills, salvation came in the form of a puppy with pale blonde fur, chocolate brown eyes, a fondness for chewing the crotch out of underpants, and a limitless capacity for love.

Synopsis via Simon & Schuster

The above description intrigued me, fascinated me, had me completely hooked. After reading this brief synopsis I felt I needed to know the full story between this little boy and his dog. As if that weren’t enough, I then watched the trailer.

Cowboy & Wills looks like it is going to be an extremely powerful story, one that I’m positive will inspire thoughtful contemplation, smiles, and tears. I cannot wait to read this, and believe me, you will be the first to hear my thoughts on it. So make sure to check out the information about this book, pick up a copy for yourself, and check back for my review!

Psychology_Today_Sept._09_issue
Author, and also Wills’ mom, Monica Holloway has a wonderful
article in this months issue of Psychology Today.

 

To get a small taste of this story, you can click here to read an excerpt of Cowboy & Wills.



© 2008-2010 Joanne Mosher of The Book Zombie. All rights reserved.

9 comments:

Care said...

Ah, just when I think you and I read worlds apart, you show me this and it grabs my heart. (hey! a poem!!)

bermudaonion said...

Oh my gosh, I so want to read that. I sobbed through the trailer. It's going on my wish list.

Valerie said...

Wow. Looks like an amazing book and one I'd want to read. We have close relatives with ASD, and my dog is a golden retriever; I think I'd need to be sure to buy a box of tissues also. Looking forward to what you think of this one!

Ceri said...

Wow, this sounds exactly like this TV film that was on over here about 3 years ago called "After Thomas."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0825222/

That was based on a true story too, about a couple of who are struggling to cope with their son's autism but, after buying a dog, Thomas, they're finally able to start communicating with their son again because the boy becomes really attached to Thomas. You should definitely check it out.

Kailana said...

This sounds really good! On my wish list it went. :)

Ladytink_534 said...

Sounds like a great story. I can see why you're eager to read it! What a beautiful little boy. Wonderful video.

Susan said...

Lovely review, Joanne! My sister would like this (I'm already looking for Christmas ideas!) and just reading your review made me teary-eyed - I love books that show the wonderfulnesss that life can be, too. Thank you!

Ana S. said...

That sounds like it will definitely be very moving.

Zibilee said...

Oh wow, this is another book that I definitely need to get my hands on. It sounds like a touching and compelling story, and I can totally understand your great longing for it. Thanks for the heads up on this book, and I will be exited to see what you think of it.